In this blog, I am spotlighting a children's author, former educator, and mother by the name of Kelli Argento. Being a children's author myself I am very excited to share and support a fellow author. This talented woman has an amazing little boy who I have the honor of spending time with at Lacey Pac Dance Studio every week. This little boy just completed his second season in my sensory and movement class. It has been so much fun watching him grow and develop a variety of skills through play. During this time, I have seen how supportive and encouraging this little boy's mother has been.
I remember the first time this little boy crawled through the tunnel after weeks of thinking about it, but always shying away from it. On that particular day he took the leap and went through it. I remember he had the biggest smile on his face that lit up the entire room. I was so excited to share the news with mom. When we reached the lobby, I knew mom had seen his accomplishment for she had the same big smile that mirrored her son. The look on this mother's face showed how much she loved and cared for her son. I was not surprised to find out that she wrote a book about her sons' medical challenges and his bravery. It is inspiring to hear how Kelli is using her book to help other children. Therefore, I highly recommend you take a few minutes to read about Kelli and check out all the good she is doing with her book.
1.Tell me your name and a little bit about yourself (hobbies,interest,favorites, etc.)? Kelli Argento. I love reading, cooking and going on adventures with my family.
2. At what point did you decide to be an author? I used to be an elementary teacher. When my son was born with a congenital heart defect, I stopped teaching to stay at home with him. After many surgeries and hospital stays, I decided to pour back into my creative teacher side and write a book inspired by him.
3. Can you tell the readers about your book? Wayne the Warrior is an adventurous story that can help ease some anxiety for kids in the hospital. It is also a great story for kids not in the hospital, but maybe know someone that is. It is a tale of bravery.
4 Who is your favorite character to write about and why is that person your favorite? Wayne- he is the book version of my son!
5. Is there anything you would like people to take away from your book? A quote I love is, "just because I carry it well, doesn't mean it's not heavy." I hope this book showcases how even a child can carry their fears well, but it doesn't mean there aren't difficult times. I hope the book makes it easier.
6. What type of skills are important and required for a person to have as an author? Flexibility! If you could only see the scratched-out stack of papers as I was going through the writing process!
7. What are some of the challenges of being an author? Wanting to make sure the book is "perfect."
8. What are the rewards? So many rewards! To hold my book in my hands and for people to tell me that it helped their child through something- there is nothing like that feeling!
9. Please tell the readers something they would be surprised to know about you? Book 2 starting soon 😊
11. What are some books or authors that you would recommend to our readers? I love reading the book, Even Superheroes Have Bad Days by Shelly Becker to my son.
12. Please highlight some of the events/projects/services you're involved with? You are able to purchase copies of Wayne the Warrior for donation. I take or send donated books to children that are in the hospital or are preparing for a hospital visit or stay. So far books have been sent to Arizona, Texas, Florida, Boston, and Ohio.
13. What is next for you? I have really been inspired to begin writing another tale for Wayne the Warrior! It will be another very personal book inspired by my son and some of the other obstacles he has battled.
14. Where can readers purchase your book? We have a website www.waynethewarrior.com that will take you directly to the links for Barnes & Noble and Amazon for purchasing.
15. How can people reach you with questions or find out more about your book? Our Instagram, @wayne_the_warrior, Facebook Wayne the Warrior or our website www.waynethewarrior.com
16. Please feel free to share anything else you would like to share with readers. Enjoy being part of Wayne's adventures! And please reach out if you know someone that could benefit from copies of the book.